After the 4 days of beating sun at the British GP 2018, I have to admit that I am tempted to go for grandstand tickets for 2019. So in order to help me decide, I’m going to run through the pros & cons of F1 Grandstand tickets vs General Admission tickets.
Pros of F1 Grandstand Tickets
– guaranteed seat on race day so you don’t have to get up early to get a good view
– cover from the weather *. Be it rain or shine, Silverstone is open to the elements and so cover is a must.
* this is assuming you’ve got covered grandstands which may not be the case everywhere.
Cons of F1 Grandstand Tickets
– the price. GA tickets are expensive enough but grandstand tickets are even more expensive!
– which grandstand? The trouble with having a guaranteed seat is that you can’t move around to get a better view. So you have to make the decision of where to sit as you buy the ticket.
Pros of F1 General Admission tickets
– cheapest option (but still pretty expensive)
– can move around the track on race day if you want
Cons of F1 General Admission Tickets
– no cover from the weather. The British GP 2018 was during on of the hottest weeks of the year and boy it was hot! We had to buy an umbrella in order to shield ourselves from the sun.
– very early start. As General admission tickets mean you can sit anywhere around the track, if you want to sit at prime viewing spots you have to get yup very early to do this. We were at Silverstone for gates opening and yet we were still 3 rows from the front!
I’ve yet to experience grandstand tickets at Silverstone but was lucky enough to be in the grandstands at the Canadian Grand Prix. But in all honesty, whether you have general admission rickets or if you have grandstand tickets, attending a grand prix is the best experience!