I was recently on the radio discussing the pros and cons of owning an electric car. I was actually trying to convince the presenter who is a fellow F1 fan, that you don’t need petrol to be happy! So here is my rundown of the pros and cons of owning an electric car.
Pros of Owning an Electric Car
- No need to stop for fuel!
- No emmissions, so you’re saving the environement
- The drive is smooth and silent
- Reduced running costs – electric is cheaper than petrol
- Pickup is amazeballs*! Can beat any BMW off the line (or so I’m told)
* Yes I did just use amazeballs because quite frankly, the pickup is better than amazing!
Cons of Owning an Electric Car
- If you forget to charge it, you might get stuck
- You’re adding burden to the electricity grid
- You can’t drive off in a huff! No point as there’s no noise!
- More expensive to buy (however there are grants available)
- Top speed is nowhere near as amazing as a BMW
Our Electric Car
The electric car we have is a Nissan Leaf. After looking for a new car in March 2016 we gave the Leaf a go. We borrowed it for two days or so and loved it! After speaking to the dealer we found that there was a government grant of up to £5000 available if bought before 31st March 2016. We had no equity left in our little Fiesta and thus the government grant gave us a form of equity in the new car. Or in other words, we didn’t have to find the cash for a deposit on the Leaf.
Over 12 months on and I love it! Sure it’s quirky and somewhat resembles a frog but that just adds to the character of the car. Unfortunately I don’t get to drive the Leaf anymore so it’s now hubby’s car. Which makes me sad as I love that little car! Although we did have an “adventure” charging it…
My Radio Spot
So yes I was on the radio discussing it last week. Did I convince Geraint Lloyd or not? I’m thinking not but the electric car revolution will come my friend!