Guess what? I live in Eryri. HA! Bet you didn’t know that one? 😉 Seriously, Snowdonia is one of the most beautiful places on Earth (*). One of the reasons it’s a beautiful place is that it’s rural which many would consider to be “out in the sticks”. London it is not!
* Actually, it’s ranked 4th in Lonely Planet’s Best Regions to Travel to in 2017 and that is a pretty decent ranking!
Living here is certainly not considered to be city living but it’s still not remote. We have all the basics such as running water, gas (*) and electric and even in some areas you can pickup 4G signal! However, it is the best place to escape city life and in fact Flogas has recently spoken to 910 Brits found that 85% of people have, at some point, considered moving away from the city to live “off grid” or “out in the sticks”.
* Gas isn’t always on mains here. My own house is on mains gas but the other house I believe is on LPG gas.
So let me run through some of the key findings of the survey conducted by Flogas:
- Most people prioritise running water, electricity and gas for cooking and heating as top priorities, but around 8% don’t see them as a priority at all in a remote area.
- 80% of respondents think that living in a remote area would suit them. Almost half of respondents would miss their smartphone within a week!
- Running water was voted as the most important service, followed closely by gas and electricity.
- Men were found to have more of an urge to break away from society than women (34% of men vs. 28% of women).
- An impressive 77% of people are confident of their abilities to change a gas canister.
- Gas is a high priority for 64% of people.
- 25% of people are confident of their ability to self-sustain, ranking a local shop as a low priority when living in isolation.
- 25% of millennials often want to get away from society.
Makes for interesting reading! The fact that 77% of people are confident of their abilities to change a gas canister is amazing! I’m not sure if I would consider myself confident enough to do it even though I did grow up in a house where the fire was running off a gas canister.
Now let’s be honest, if I had to survive it in the wild, I would miss my luxuries! Putting aside the basics of water and food, and gas and electric for warmth, the thing I would miss more than anything is my smartphone! The fact above stating that people would miss their smartphone within a week – that’s me! But a week, try a day!! It’s simple – I’m a blogger and social media addict!
So tell me, does rural life appeal to you? What would you miss most?
(in collaboration with Flogas)